Monday, August 21, 2017

91. MN-UT-AK Part of Trip...Get to 50 States?

MN-UT-AK Part of Trip...Get to 50 States?

Keller Golf Course, August 20, 2017:  I had arranged with Keller to be able to play at 6:45am (their normal first time off is 7am) and to go off as a single.  This was necessary if I was to catch a flight at 11:25 AM from MSP to Salt Lake City, arrive early enough play TCC-SLC, and then catch a nonstop to Anchorage.  Schedule was very tight but it looked like it would work.

Keller is a very good course for a “muni”.  The land has very good movement and the course has a good routing.  Its condition was good, although the tees were in suspect condition (I think caused by shade from trees…apparently a good number of trees were removed during Mandell’s renovation in 2014, but not nearly enough from my viewpoint).  BTW, in my last post I neglected to mention that Mandell’s residence is in Pinehurst, but that I have not met him.  

There are are some very interesting holes on Keller…especially #4 and #17 which are pictured below.  The 4th is a flat 150 yard par 3 (from the back) to a good sized green with a 50’ high oak tree sitting smack dab in front of the green (see pic).  The canopy of the tree stops about 10 yards short of the front of the green.  Trust me, it is quite a shock when one walks over to the 4th tee from the third green.  But somehow, it works…because the hole is relatively short, the player has a lofted iron in their hands so that clearing the tree is not a huge issue.  I actually liked it (perhaps because I hit a 7-iron to about 5 feet and got my birdie).  

Keller par 3 #4...pin just left of tree trunk...and my ball within 5'


Keller par 4 17th hole from about 145 yards from green...some room left but not much


The 17th presents a similar situation, this time on a 376 yard apr 4, which turns slightly right and is up hill to a green sitting on the crest off a slight rise.  Once again a large Oak tree presents a real obstacle that makes the player consider how to play it off the tee (for example, a big hitter could put a drive too close to the tree to clear it easily (this was not a problem for me as I hit a smothered hook off the tee and had to punch out of the rough with a 5-iron, and ended up with a bogey).

Two other superb par 3’s on Keller on #13 and #15 pictured below.  #13 is 148 yards, slightly uphill and requires a carry over wetlands to a shallow green and #15 is uphill 195 yards with a false front and a shop drop off to the right and short.  The four par 3’s at Keller are really the strongest aspect of the course.

Keller #13 par 3

Keller par 3 15th


One other interesting aspect of Keller is that there is almost no housing that can be seen on the course (there is a short stretch of homes before and to the left of the 2nd green, which are the only homes that are visible from the course).  From an aesthetics standpoint, this is a real plus.  From the back tees it plays to 6675 yards and is really a very special muni.

I played in about 2:15 and shot a 36-40 = 76.  After the round, I talked with the head pro, Mark Foley, thanked him again, and then it was off to MSP airport on my way to SLC.

The Country Club (UT), August 20, 2017:  To my knowledge, there are at least three clubs in the USA named “The Country Club” and they are located in Brookline, MA, Pepper Pike, OH, and Salt Lake City, UT.  Quite frankly, I chose to play TCC-SLC to check off Utah on my
“play all 50 states bucket list” because of its proximity to the SLC airport…as I had to get back to the airport for a flight at 8:35pm to Anchorage, and very often clubs can be busy on Sunday afternoons.  My sense is that there are better tracks near Park City (and they certainly would have been cooler…it was 93 at TCC-SLC) but I feared getting stuck behind some groups.

TCC-SLC was founded in 1899.  It eventually moved to its present location (at the base of the Wasatch Mountains) in 1922, was originally designed by Willie Watson and Harold Lamb and then renovated by Ralph Plummer in 1963.  It plays to a stout 7209 yards.   Almost all of the holes and greens are impacted by the overall flow of the course  from east to west (off the Wasatch Mtns towards the valley).  Best holes are #6 (177 yard uphill par 3 protected on left front by deep bunker) and #11 (467 yard flat par 4 with green protected by creek in front and on right)—see pics below.   At a couple of points, the views of the mountains are very compelling and reminded me of Gavea Golf Club in Rio.

TCC-SLC par 3 6th

TCC-SLC long par 4 11th approach from 150 yards


TCC-SLC was included on GD’s 200 Toughest lists in 1966 and 1967; it has not made a Top 100 listing.  Course is good but not great and has a number of ordinary holes.  I ended up with a decent but not great 41-41 = 82.

Was able to play in about 2:15 (front nine was totally clear and three groups waved me through on the back…so who was I to refuse?).  Was great to have played a course in Utah…and now had to get to Anchorage and hope for some luck with the weather.  Had plenty of time for a shower, and then hopped back into a Uber car (easiest and cheapest way in these situations as I finally learned) to SLC airport.  Long flight to Anchorage coming up.

Anchorage Country Club, August 21, 2017:  Landed at about 11:50pm…at which point I completed a non-golf bucket list of having been on the ground in all 50 states!  Did Uber again and arrived at hotel near airport (course is just 10 miles away).  It was raining moderately and the forecasts did not look promising for Monday morning.

I woke at about 4:45am (was scheduled to play at 7am)…and forecast still not good…but probably playable.  After getting repacked and dressed in warm clothes…it was forecast to be about 50 when I was to play…was back in a Uber heading to the course.  Place was pretty empty (not surprisingly) and open for play and allowing carts (but restricted to cart paths).  People in pro shop had some chuckles when I explained why I was there…while others had made a similar journey, they said I was the first to finish the 50 state bucket list there (reminded me of the lines some guys used in NY single bars on the Upper East Side in the 70’s and 80’s…but I would never have used such a line).  But the good news was that the rain was down to very few drops…certainly no problem if it stayed this way.

Teed off at about 6:50 and was on my way.  Played poorly as I kept trying to hit my drives on whatever side the part path was on…to save time and steps.  Course surprised me at how good it is…and how good the conditions were.  Yes, lots of standing water but this place has had consistent rain for the last 10 days!  Greens were slow due to rain but true and in excellent condition.  While conditions for viewing the scenery were not ideal, this is in a beautiful area close to the Chugach Mountains and with views of Denali Mountain.  Anchorage was designed by Bill Newcomb and opened in 1987.  It plays to 6601 yards from the tips.  It has never been on a  USA or World 100 (in fact, no course from AK ever has).

Fun course…even if I played poorly…had a 45-43 = 88 but who cared.  Played the front nine wearing a hat from the 2nd course I ever played (Kissena Golf Course, a muni in Queens, where I played most of my golf through high school), and then wore a hat from my first ever course, Honesdale GC in Honesdale, PA (where Art Wall, Jr. who won the Masters in 1959 grew up and learned the game.  First played Honesdale in August 1955.  Finished the round and the 50 sates at 8:55am Alaska time.  Amazingly, the rain stayed very light through 17 holes and on the 18th tee increased in intensity a little, but still not bad (and at that point I didn’t care).  Great luck!  Here’s my picture in the pro shop after the round.

Who is that handsome guy...you could have seen him with his sticks in all 50 states 😏


After updating Pat, I called Greg Ohlendorf…a friend from Pinehurst and Chicago who is working to finish a World Top 100 list.  Greg finished his 50 state quest some six years ago, and pointedly noted that fact during our conversation.  However, I was ready for him, and cited the fact that my completion, while 6 years later, was so important, it was accompanied by a huge celestial event, the 2017 Solar Eclipse.  We declared a draw and both finished the conversation smiling!

But the real winner in this is you…as this is one less bucket list you will have to read about in this blog!!

Am now between flights in Seattle and will arrive Fresno, CA around 10:15 tomorrow…the other bucket lists quest continue.  Late Bulletin---luck may be running out...Westjet's servers are down so not sure if my Alaska Air flight from Seattle to Fresno will go tonight...contingency planning starts now! 😩😩

1 comment: