Tuesday, May 3, 2016

44. Last Golfing Day of Trip—in Scotland—May 1, 2016

Last Golfing Day of Trip—in Scotland—May 1, 2016

Flights from Dubai to London Heathrow and then Heathrow to Edinburgh went well…except, we have to “ding” another airline, this time British Airways.  On the DubaiàHeathrow flight, I was again flying Business (my round the World ticket all in Business), and this leg was on a Boeing 777.  Business class seats for this flight were 8 across in business class…never  before seen 8 across in Business on any airline (American Air is 4 across on a 767 to Raleigh-Durham).  It was very packed and crowded.  As Mrs. Barry used to say in 8th grade… “Oh my, how the mighty have fallen!” 

Arrived in Edinburgh around 11pm, and baggage was slow coming off, there was a long line to secure my rental car, and made two wrong turns getting to Gleneagles (a 55 minute drive if all goes perfectly).  Ended up arriving at about 1:45am…and I have an 8am tee off tomorrow!  Good thing this is the last golfing day of the trip!

Gleneagles Centenary, May 1, 2016:  Designed by Jack Nicklaus and opened in about 2000, this course hosted the 2014 Ryder Cup that ended with the US getting trounced and the infamous Phil Mickelson/Tom Watson “entanglement” (for lack of a better word). 

My clear recollection was that the course was not greeted with very positive reactions at that time.  Furthermore, my conversations with other golf course affectionato’s over the past few months produced much stronger negative reactions.  But there I was at 8am on the first tee...with the temperature hovering around 45° (F this time as compared to almost 45°C in UAE), the winds at about 20mph and gusting higher, and the rain pelting down at a medium rate.  Of course, since I had a buggy, things couldn’t be too bad.  Only problem was they were restricted to cart paths and in most cases, the cart paths were well above and far from the fairway.  So, hole by hole playing was tougher than if I had a push cart, but it did save me on the walks from green to tee (which were considerable in some cases).  Conditions were better than at County Louth three weeks earlier, but not by much (and the golf course was not nearly as good).  Three positive things can be said about my round.  First, I finished strong (3 putting for bogey from 12’ on par 5 16th, up and down from greenside bunker for par on par 3 17th, and stuck gap wedge to 18” for a birdie on par 5 18th).  Second, I was able to get the round over with in 2:45 (three twosomes ahead of me waved me through on first 9 holes) which was good for survival in the weather.  Third, I appear to have survived it.  And, the ensuing 94 (smooth 49 on front) certainly will not bring my handicap down.

And to think, the wonderful King’s Course was right nearby, not to mention a whole bunch of great ones in East Lothian.  Sometimes even I question my judgment!!

Dalmahoy-East, May 1, 2016:  Fortunately most of the rain had stopped after my first 9 holes, so I had pretty much dried out by the time my round at Gleneagles finished.  I was scheduled to play Dalmahoy-East, a course owned by Marriot Hotels and located about 5 miles from the Edinburgh airport.  Dalmahoy’s East Course was host venue for the first Solheim Cup staged in (and won by)Europe (in 1992).  It was originally designed by James Braid and opened for play in 1927. 

I arrived at Dalmahoy around 12:30pm and was able to move my tee time up to 1:20.  This is a good parkland course.  Fairly open and hilly, it is long  (7334 yards) and reasonably tough.  There was no rain during the afternoon, but the winds kept blowing at 15-20mph and I doubt the temp rose above 50°.  I was definitely tired and frankly these two courses were somewhat of a downer for the final 36 of this trip.  But I got it done.  Also, somehow finished fairly strongly again, and had an ugly 91 for the round.

The 18th at Dalmahoy-East is fairly cool.  The final green sits right in front of the hotel, which is an old Scottish castle…see pic below. 

18th at Dalmahoy-East with Hotel (Castle) behind green

Off to airport and caught earlier flight to Heathrow.  By the time I reached my hotel, I was very tired, and immediately hit the sack.  Next morning arrive LHR for nonstop flight to RDU…on AA with 4 across in Business.

And of course best end to trip was seeing Pat at RDU!!  Good to be home and great to be home w her!!

Next Travels: Two trips on the immediate horizon.  First we are heading up to MA for the summer.  Pat is flying on 5/12, while I am driving up next week, stopping at some east coast courses on the way.

Then the following week we both go back to GD&I.  Pat is going to the Chelsea Flower Show with a good friend Sharon Lawson and I am going back on tour for about 12 days, leaving May 16 and returning with Pat and Sharon on May 28.  My schedule calls for me playing two of my remaining five “100 Evers” (Alwoodley in England and Les Bordes in France) and six of my seven remaining “MacWood spoof” courses (one of which is Alwoodley), plus as many of the “Cups Ever” list I can fit in.

Allow me to focus for a minute on “Cups Ever”, which includes the Walker Cup, Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup, Curtis Cup, and Solheim Cup.  To date, there have been a total of 148 of these “Cup” events (Walker-45; Ryder-40; Curtis-38; Solheim-14, and Presidents-11) with another 15 future venues announced to date.  These 163 events have been/will be played on a total of 110 venues, located as follows:

            USA                67
            GB&I              33 (England-14; Scotland-10; Ireland-5; Wales-3; N Ireland-1)
            Cont. Europe    6 (Sweden-2; France, Germany, Italy, Spain-1 each)
            Australia           1
            Canada              1
            South Africa     1
            South Korea      1

All of these 110 still exist, and I have not played 21 venues (which have hosted a total of 29 events) located as follows:

            USA                11 (CA-2; CO-2; IA, MA, MD, NJ, NY, OR, WV-1 each)
            GB&I                8 (England-4; Ireland-2; Wales-2)
            Sweden             2
------------------------------

Finally, some pictures from this past trip that I should have included in earlier posts:

John Cornish, Pilot, RL, and moi after Landing in Scone April 25

RL, Pilot, RM, moi, and John Cornish at Scone Airport Terminal April 25

Lava Fields #1...count the bunkers!

Lava Fields #4 (par 3 over lava bed)

Lava Fields #15 (par 3)

After the round and outside the gate (so I think legal to post*) RM-moi-RL-JC

*checking w the lawyers!

5 comments:

  1. I find your comments very interesting and have read your interview on Golf Club Atlas. However, I notice that your games perhaps your trips appear to be limited on time spent at each venue. Alas as age creeps by, you used carts to play - understandable but to say it assists in understanding course architecture - I have to disagree with you most strongly, Carts cannot replace the actual feel of the course as you walk around watching the scenery change with every step. Too much is lost from any experience if info is gained from a cart (not having your feet on the ground). IN closing I wonder if you would not gain much more if you selected courses that have age and quality over potential well known Championship type courses. My suggestion is Scotland - from what little I have learnt from your travels have you played the many courses that created the modern game, getting away from the likes of The Old Course. And play them for the sake of golf and playability rather than score. I note you have played many a great course, but have you played Golf too - next time in Scotland try playing the more out of the way older courses just for the sake of the game of golf - it might just surprise you and heck you might find them to be more enjoyable as they embrace the real game of Golf - sorry many are walking curses but some have the odd cart. Regards Melvyn H Morrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melvyn--Quite frankly, I could not agree more! I obviously did not convey my thoughts properly. Please note the following. I am trying to complete some bucket lists and I want to complete them quickly, so that I can move on and no longer be their prisoner...and go back and return again to the really great old tracks. When I am scheduling a trip, I cram the schedule based on that plan. You are right...when I find a hidden gem, I then do not have time to really study it.

      I far prefer playing the likes of N Berwick, Old Course, R Dornoch, Prestwick, Maidstone, Brookline, Sand Hills, etc etc etc to Medinah's, Gleneagles-PGA, etc of the world. However, when I am finishing a bucket list and some those championship courses are on it, I need to play them as well.

      No question walking gives one a real feel for the turf, topography, lies, etc. I generally do try to walk the great old ones for that reason..they are special. Did not feel the same way about Gleneagles-PGA. Also, when rating a course, a cart does allow you to see other angles on a hole without holding up the groups behind...but the ideal solution is to play walking, and then go back out on a cart and see the other angles and refresh your memory.

      I hope this clarifies what I was trying to say on my blog and w my interview. Sorry it if was not clear before...and thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  2. No, you were clear, it was my comment that was not - You mentioned some fine courses but have you taken a day off to play the likes of Moray http://www.moraygolf.co.uk/home.aspx?i=no , Cullen http://cullengolfclub.co.uk/ , Killin http://www.killingolfclub.co.uk/ , Bridge of Allen http://www.bofagc.com/ , Askernish http://www.askernishgolfclub.com/ , in Scotland or Warkworth http://www.warkworthgolfclub.co.uk/ , Windermere http://www.windermeregolfclub.co.uk/ - to name just a few - none Championship courses but for a game of golf, relaxing and at times surprisingly testing, but mostly from a design portfolio circa the 19th Century.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Want fun golf? Play Dunaverty near Campbeltown, Mull of Kintyre. Was just there recently and there are many delightful short holes, fantastic views and excellent condition. A great combo along with Machrihanish old course. Mach Dunes a good test too.

    ReplyDelete