Saturday, April 16, 2016

38. Getting It DONE…the Homestretch (Stage I)

Getting It DONE…the Homestretch (Stage I)

I am sitting in an airport lounge at Dublin airport, having just completed a six day trip to Europe.  This was Stage I of my final push to complete my outstanding Bucket Lists (and perhaps make some progress on future Bucket Lists and plans…should I get the current ones done.  To quickly summarize my current key “to do” status as of the start of this trip one week ago:

--lifetime to date…823 courses in 44 countries and 42 states;
            --World Top 100 Courses EVER (8 sources)—total of 286 courses, played 275 and 11 to go;
            --Tom MacWood Spoof 1939 Top 100…101 courses of which 5 no longer exist, played 86 and 10 to go (one of which is one of the 11 to go on the EVER list above);
            --US Open Venues…54 courses, 52 played and two to go.

Careful readers of the blog will have noted the increase in the number of courses on the EVER list…this was due to an eight source, Golf Digest UK, which published two World 100 lists (in 2010 and 2011), which was offered up by someone whose name is being withheld for his protection.  Also, about 2 weeks ago I was able to play one more of the MacWood list, the venerable Ponte Vedra Club in Florida.  Located quite close to the TPC Stadium Players course, it is reputed to be the home of the first “island green” in golf.  It was designed by Herb Strong and opened in 1928.  It was scheduled to host the 1939 Ryder Cup Matches, but these were cancelled due to the onset of WW II (despite the heroic efforts of the famed predecessor of US Democrats, Neville Chamberlain (“Peace in our time”).  

Tom MacWood had placed it at #45 on his list.  It is a good, fun course. Unfortunately, it had rained hard up and down the east coast the prior three days and even a course built totally on a barrier island sand dunes requires more that overnight to recover from that type of soaking.

In any case, that short visit brought my MacWood Spoof to do list down from 11 to 10.

This Past Week’s Journey

Pat and I were invited to a Bat Mitzvah in New Jersey on April 9 (yes, on Saturday of Masters weekend…and the father is almost as much of a golf nut as I am), she had to be in Boston for a floral job this week, and we needed to get her new Boston car (another convertible for my “Little Old Lady from Pasadena”) up to Boston from Pinehurst.  So on Friday we drove to NJ, and on Sunday, she drove on to Boston and I flew to Europe.  In between, awful weather cancelled our golf game at Mountain Ridge, but we were able to visit Daniel (“DJ”) Joseph and David Wilson at Somerset Hills, where they are the new Head Pro and First Assistant respectively (both were at Brookline previously).  Was great to see them and they seem to be doing great at one of the finest clubs in the USA (last played my moi 10/6/15 and chronicled herein).

I arrived at JFK airport Sunday just as the broadcast was commencing on CBS.  After Jordan’s string of four birdies on 6-9, like most of the rest of the world I figured this was over.  My wi-fi and then cellular signal allowed me to see holes 10-12, and then I only had access to Masters radio.  Absolutely shocking result, best described by a famous and oft-used quote (whose source escapes me): “Golf can be a very cruel game.”

One thought regarding the flight.  As I have made negative comments regarding airlines on this blog (specifically Jetstar and Qantas) I should make positive comments when they are earned.  The new sleeper seat layout on Aer Lingus is fabulous.  Seats/beds are very comfortable and have tons of storage…which many business seats seem to lack.  The service was also excellent.

County Lough Golf Club (Baltray), April 11, 2016:   Arrived at Dublin Airport around 5:15am on Monday, procured by car rental, and headed up north about one hour to Baltray.  The weather could be best described by Jordon Spieth’s first two swings on #12 the day before.  It was about 43°, the winds were about 30mph (and gusting higher) and it was raining fairly hard.  The club was founded in 1892 and its course renovated into greatness by Tim Simpson and reopened for play in July 1938. 

Your truly was in a quandary.  As miserable as it was, I could not return until September and I needed this to finish the EVER bucket list.  It got on the list due to being rated #68 on Golf Digest UK’s World Top 100 (my 8th source) in 2010 and 2011.  When my caddy showed up, I figured, have top give it a shot.  #1 was playing right into the wind…and I secured perhaps the best bogey five of my life there.  At that point, my caddy said, “why don’t we get a buggy.”  I will be eternally grateful for that thought, but wish it had come 10 minutes earlier.  Amazingly, while I huddled behind some tall bushes to get some protection form the wind, he went back to try to secure a buggy.  I never thought they would allow it, but they did, so who was I to argue?  That made the rest of the round possible.  We zipped around in about 2:15, I have no idea what I shot (but did have several pars), went into the clubhouse after nine to try down and warm up (and prevent frostbite)…but we got it done.  Just don’t ask me what the course was like…although I could tell that the back nine through the dunes is something special.  Will be sure to play this again when I return w Pat in September for Fergal’s wedding.

This morning when I arrived at DUB, I tried to get onto the web via my iphone, but it would not “activate”.  The screen showed a message indicating the SIM card would not work with European carriers.  I had replaced my phone (due to a screen problem) at a NJ Apple store on Saturday, and the Apple salesman placed a new SIM card in the phone.  I have a sense that the card he used is totally restricted to Verizon and locks out of any other carrier.  It worked fine in NJ, but not anywhere in Europe…and I have a Verizon overseas plan.  Will see what happens when I land at JFK.  But note that this means NO PICTURES this trip.


After a shower that felt awesome, it was back to DUB for a flight on Ryanair to Rome, for 36 holes Tuesday.  Ryanair is a typical discount airline with low ticket prices and lots of fees…but unlike Jetstar, they are upfront about it and what you can do to minimize the fees…no obfuscation here.  Flight went fine but I am tired…playing in conditions like that (even with a cart) takes a lot out of you.  Forecast is for mid-70’s in Rome Tuesday, and that will be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment