Thursday, June 4, 2015

6. Update June 4, 2015...back at it

Rudo Golf---still out there but have not kept blog up to date

It has been almost 10 months since my last post.  Am presently in Scotland on  a BIG trip (more about that in a minute).  Between my last post on 8/8/14 and up until the start of this European trip, I played a total of 53 new courses (bringing my lifetime total to 719), including visiting to play in Columbia, South Africa, France, Spain, Morocco, and Belgium.  Plus in the USA, I have played new tracks in MA, PA, SC, FL, NC, MD, and NY.  These journeys would have been more extensive, but my travel plans were put on temporary hold in November for the insertion of two stents into my coronary arteries.  As a result, one trip to Florida was delayed about 6 weeks, and an extensive trip to Asia/Australia/New Zealand was delayed till late 2015 or early 2016 (subject to negotiations with Da Boss).  In any case, the stents seem to have given me a new lease on life.  It is an amazing procedure that is now almost routine.  I was out of the hospital the next morning and was walking around about 2 hours after the procedure was completed.

Lots of catching up to do…and will do that gradually and in an abbreviated fashion (I can hear you cheering now) as will be some of my descriptions of courses on this trip.  And no pics for now…this trip is too exhausting and busy to deal w that stuff.

Am still being guided (Pat might say driven) by my bucket lists.  At the start of this trip in terms of “World 100 Lists” I needed:

--9 more courses to be the second person to play all of the Golf Magazine World 100 lists (“GM World 100 Ever”) which totals 190 courses.
--8 more to finish Golf Digest 2014 World Top 100 (their first world list)
--15 more to complete Darius Oliver’s latest Planet Golf Top 100
--2 more to finish the final Links Magazine World 100 (dated 12/31/14)
--9 more to finish the Golf Course Architects Survey Top 100
--6 more to finish the Top100Golf websire listings published in ’14, ’12, ’11, ’09, ’08, and ‘06
--3 more to finish the first two editions of Rolex’s Top 1000 (courses with scores of 100 or 95…87 courses in Edition II and 88 in Edition I
--in total, there are 261 courses that have been on one or more of these listings, and at the start of this trip I had played 219, one no longer exists, and I needed 41 to complete this bucket list.

In terms of USA Top 100’s (as always, using my definition of a “merged” list of Golfweek Classic and Modern), I stand at having played all but 61 0f the courses that have ever been included on GM, GD, or GW’s top 100, the final Links USA Top 100, and the current Top100 Golf website.  Given my rapidly advancing age and focus on the overseas lists, it is not clear whether this is doable…but only time will tell…trust me, I am still working it.

GB&I and Continental European Trip

As of the start of this trip, with the progress made over the past 10 months, of the 41 courses worldwide I need to complete the 261 course “World All 100 Ever” list, 23 are in GB&I (Great Britain & Ireland)…16, and Continental Europe…7).   Plus, as of the start of the year, there were another six courses on the Continent (plus one nearby in Morocco) that I needed to play.  So, at the start of the year I had the large task of playing some 30 courses for the first time in GB&I, Continental Europe and Northern Africa.  I covered seven in Morocco, Belgium, France and Spain during an 8-day journey in April…leaving me with 23 to go now.

Planning for the current trip started in earnest in February with a flurry of emails.  As I was already deep into setting up the April eight day trip, there were a lot of balls in the air at one time.  Somehow, they have all landed in good formation.

The trip was a result of Pat planning a trip to London and The Cotswolds’ (garden tours) June 3-12 with some girl friends.  I of course strongly encouraged her to make the trip hoping that I might be invited along.  When that did not happen, I was forced to make alternative plans…and golf seemed like an interesting possibility.  And, as she wanted to play some golf as well, I reluctantly agreed to extend my trip so that we could play golf from June 12-21 in SW England, Wales, and in Surrey, west of London.  Always willing to sacrifice for her!!

So I left Boston on May 27 (one week ahead of her departure) with first stop…Dublin, Ireland.  There are so so many great tracks in Ireland, it was tough to limit my visit there to 8 days.  I had previously been to Ireland (referring in this case to both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland) five times, with my first visit in 1980 and last in 2014 (finishing the 2013 Golf Magazine World Top 100 at The European Club).  But some had been very brief, and to date I had only played 13 courses there (compared Scotland with 9 visits to date and 29 different courses played).

My list of 41 course to go for the “World 100 Lists” goal included 5 tracks in Ireland (The Island Club, Rosses’ Point, Carne, Doonbeg, and Old Head), so their inclusion was mandatory.  To those five I added Portmarnock and Lahinch, primarily because my memory of both was that they were very very strong, but frankly, that memory was faint.  Plus, my good friend Fergal O’Leary (who hails from Ireland…bet you never would have guessed that) basically threatened to dismember certain parts of me if I went to Ireland and did not play his home club of Portmarnock.  I chose to ignore Fergal’s sage advice and also added The K Club, since it would be fit into the schedule easily and I knew I could play it with a cart (known as a buggy over there) making the 36 hole day much more manageable.  As you may recall, The K Club hosted the 2006 Ryder Cup (the Euro’s stuffed us there) and I might want to add a mini bucket list of all Ryder Cup courses ever, so I figured why not.  In summary, while I get high points for following Fergal’s guidance with Portmarnock and Lahinch, most of those points get wiped out due to my stupidity in wasting a few hours at the K Club…More about these and others follows.

Island Club—May 28
Went directly to the course from the Dublin airport.  Arrived DUB around 11am…flew thru Heathrow (long story why) which is a pain in the butt.  Met my host, Humphrey Kelleher (a former Captain of The Island Club and good player) and his friend, Pat O’Leary (Fergal’s dad).  After a quick and good lunch, we headed to #1…a dauntingly narrow par 4, lines on both sides by very high dunes (not Royal Country Down or Trump Aberdeen high, but quite high in any case).  As I got over the ball on the first tee, I realized that I would be playing with 9 new sticks, which were delivered to TCC the day before…the Fed Exp truck arriving as I putted out on 18 and about 90 minutes before Pat took me to Logan airport.  Wondered how these would work, but suffice it to say that I have hit them well (although I did pull that first drive left).

I loved The Island Club.  My one question is, where has it been…it is rarely spoken of in conversations regarding great Irish tracks but it absolutely belongs.  It was originally conceived in the late 1880’s but major architectural changes were not made until the 1980’s and 90’s.  For decades, members arrived at the club via a small boat from the village of Malahide (the Club was then on a true island).  Today it is a very strong track (made much tougher by 20-25 mph winds on a bright sunny day), built among wonderful sand dunes, with healthy turn throughout, and a wonderful collection of holes.  Rather than bore you by going through some of the best holes, I will bore you by giving some overall impressions:

            --the land is marvelous…aside from the massive sand dunes, it ground pitches and rolls in every direction, making for difficult challenging stances, and wonderful sights…great links land, not man made;

            --front nine consists of 1-8 being eight straight par 4’s, followed by a par 3 9th; one might expect this layout to be boring, but I had no sense of that (felt a little like front nine of Main course at Brookline)…the holes play differently from each other but “fit” together beautifully;

            --the 13th green (best hole on course…long tough par 3) and 14the tee (may be toughest hole with fairway about 20 meters wide and sloping LàR…and yes I hit the fairway and got my par) both sit where the old clubhouse was…across the estuary from the town of Malahide, which a marina occupying a good part of the estuary.  As I looked over, I tried to think of other courses in the British Isles with such a setting, and could not think of any (some of course give a feeling of being “part of the town” such as St. Andrews, Carnouistie, Prestwick…but I could not think of any where a marina and the town are seen from the course; please let me know if you think of any.  One great club/course in the USA evokes that feeling…Country Club of Fairfield (CT);

            --the 10th hole reminded be of #1 at Royal Liverpool (Hoylake)…with OB jutting out  on the right side for well over 200 yards out form the tee.

In summary, really great track deserving of far more attention!!

We had a quick dinner (during which I came close to nodding off from exhaustion after the overnight flight.  Next day would start the grueling part of the trip.


Portmarnock May 29 Morning

Last played by me in 1979, and almost universally recognized as one of the real great tracks of the world.  Played with Huntley Lauder of Dublin, a very fine player and good friend of Fergal’s.  We teed off around 8:30am…t’was a little chilly but no too cold, but the winds were up again, about the same as yesterday.  Huntley played Brookline a few years back with Pat Grant, so we could spend time w Pat Grant stories, not to mention time spent talking about Fergal…was tougher to do yesterday with Fergal’s dad in the group J. 

Currently #54 on Golf Mag World 100 (highest rating since 2000 was #34 in 2001), it is #36 on the Golf Architects Survey, but unranked in Planet Golf’s 100.  So what gives here?  My sense is that Portmarnock is one of the great championship courses anyplace...as well as one of the great clubs.  It has, very simply, no weaknesses.  Conditioning is outstanding (real fast and firm , etc etc).  Holes are very very tough, yet very fair.  Surrounded on 3 sides by water, if sites magnificently and majestically.  Simple a great collection of pure, true links golf holes, that challenge but do not totally “beat you up”.  It’s land, however, does not provide as much drama (sand dunes, massive pitches and  rolls, in  fairways, etc.) naturally found at places such as Royal County Down, Lahinch, Shinnecock, etc etc…and which tend to linger in one’s mind longer.  Yet there are few better pure golf courses anywhere.  This is a tough one to resolve...me thinks a top 100 needs a mixture of both types.  I know that as I have aged, “fun” has become far more important that pure difficulty or ability to test.  But ultimately, picking a top 100 position is like picking a spouse (or like picking the top 100 spouses?????).  At this point, I think it is time to move on.

K Club—Palmer May 29 Evening

Since it was on the way between Portmarnock and Rosses Point, I figured why not go play another Ryder Cup track (since I might want to have played all Ryder Cup courses, ever.  Well, this dumb sxxt blew it again…like he did playing National outside of Paris in mid-April, and totally contrary to Fergal’s advice.  K Club, was boring, super tough from the back tees, and a classic “cookie cuttor.  Only good news is that I was able to get a cart and zip around playing it in about 2:45.  Pain is less painful when it doesn’t last as long.

More later…


No comments:

Post a Comment