Saturday, April 30, 2016

43. Shanqin Bay/Abu Dhabi Next Stops April 28-30, 2016

Shanqin Bay/Abu Dhabi Next Stops April 28-30, 2016

Shanqin Bay GC, April 28, 2016:  Had breakfast at the hotel and Lisa came by to bring me to SB.  I hit a few balls, wanting to make sure we finished with enough time for a shower, a nice lunch and the drive to Haikou airport for my flight to Hong Kong.  Those of you with trips to SB planned will be pleased to hear that the new airport is completed and will be open for commercial flights some time this summer…which should reduce the time driving to the airport to about 15 minutes from today’s 90 minutes to Haikou.

The range was in superb shape, and I must be moving up in the world as I was set up to hit off of the grass rather than mats.  Did see several filled divots on the range that were probably the result of a member-member event the previous weekend…during which the club must have been virtually overrun given the field was full with 32 members participating J.

Joey then drove me over to the clubhouse and first tee and on the way pointed out that the open field to the left of the range would be used to build some cabins for use by members and guests.  He seemed very pleased by this decision made after he had brought a group of members to Pine Valley where they experienced PVGC’s cabins and unanimously agreed to go ahead with cabins at SB.

I had forgotten that SB collects all phones before people go out on the course, so no pictures here, folks.  Yes I know I could have taken pics at Mission Hills and did not, but frankly there really wasn’t a hole worthy of such memorialization.

When I arrived at the first tee, I received a round of applause from the line up of staff.  I remembered receiving the same applause two years ago and then pulling my drive and mulligan into the plant life left…clearly there has been 100% turnover of the staff as no one who witnessed my start in 2014 would have applauded me today.

This year I improved considerably with just a so-so opening drive (hit right) but a perfectly hit mulligan.  I then hit #1 in regulation but proceeded to three putt from about 25 feet.  That proved to be the start of some fairly poor golf for holes 1-5 (I was 8 over at that point and getting very frustrated).  Finished the front nine with a 10 over 45 but started playing somewhat better on the back with a 4 over 40 helped considerably by an eagle two on drivable downhill par 4 16th.  Hit a good drive leaving me with about 74 yards to the pin, which was front right on the green’s lower tier.  Choked down on a sand wedge and hit it great…right on the backstop slope behind the pin and it spun back and went dead in.  Joey saw it drop but I did not.  That was fun.  Last eagle for me was on the par 5 18th at Mayacama in Napa, CA in late August 2013 (please do not ask when my last eagle before Mayacama was).

After finishing the round, had a quick shower and superb lunch, with Joey, Lisa, and the new greenskeeper at Shanqin Bay, Roger Goettsch, who previously has been at GC of Houston (venue for the Shell Houston Open on the PGA Tour), then packed up my belongings and said goodbye to the staff.  It was very special to return ot Shanqin Bay.  It is a great golf course but more importantly, it is staffed by a wonderful group of people whose goal is simply to ensure that you have the best time possible during your visit. 

In terms of the golf course, it remains my #1 course in Asia, and I still consider it the second best Coore Crenshaw design in the world (behind Sandhills in NE).  Its rating positions are as follows:

            --Golf Magazine…moved up to #47 in 2015 (from #78 in 2013);
            --Golf Digest…debuted at #37 in 2016;
            --Top100.co.uk…moved up to #60 from #94;
            --Planet Golf…stayed unchanged at #46.

The course was simply in perfect condition and was firm despite a good amount of rain over the previous 5-7 days.

The best part of the visit was still to come.  Joey and Lisa accompanied me on the drive up to Haikou airport and shortly after we arrived we were met there by Summer Chen.  The readers of this blog who have been to SB will certainly remember Summer, who was a “shadow” at SB (shadows would accompany you around the property, to and from the airport, etc. to translate for you when necessary, answer questions you might have, etc. etc.).  Several months after my first visit two years ago, Summer announced that she was leaving SB to get married to a young man she had recently met.  Five months ago they had their first child.  Attached is a photo of their family and me at the airport.  It was simply wonderful to see Summer so very happy.  Her husband clearly is madly in love with her (and vice versa), and their son is adorable.  It was great to catch up! In talking to Summer, she told me she had met her husband at a wedding a few weeks before my visit in 2014 but at that point she was not really interested in him.  Turns out that she ran into him at the airport shortly after dropping me off at the airport…and that “chemistry” happened. 
Lisa, Joey, moi, Summer with son and husband



Additionally, Joey advised that my visit in 2014 was almost cancelled at the last minute.  China Chairman Xi’s office called a few days before I was scheduled to arrive and advised that President Putin of Russia would be visiting China to confer with Chairman Xi and Chairman Xi wanted to hold the meeting at Shanqin Bay, and that would have meant closing the club to everyone during the meeting.  However, shortly after that call, Xi decided he did not want the image of setting up a meeting at a golf course and the venue was changed (Xi has been very anti-golf).  Fascinating stuff!  Looked this one up on the web.  Xi and Putin did meet (in Shanghai) on May 20, 2014…and my round was May 16, 2014…could certainly have been!!

My flight back to Hong Kong went smoothly and then I had an eight-hour layover before flying to Dubai…finally arriving in Dubai at around 7am on Friday April 29.

Abu Dhabi Golf Club, April 29, 2016: I still had one more course added by the eighth World Top 200 source (Golf Week UK) to play and ADGC was virtually right on the way back from Hainan Island, so that became my next stop.  Flight schedules made it easier to arrive in Dubai, and Abu Dhabi is only about 90 minutes south of the Dubai airport.  ADGC had a driver meet my flight and take me directly to the course.  We arrived by 9:15am and I met the Director of Golf Collum Nicoll, originally from Troon, Scotland.  Collum had paired me with two members at 10:20, which worked well.

 I had started to check the weather reports online over the prior two days and it was clear that it would be hot for this round.  Our threesome whipped around the front nine in about 1:40 but caught up with the groups in front of us around #9, resulting in a 2:20 back nine in 95° degree heat.  By the 15th hole I began to wilt, and my game fell apart, flubbing one chip and three putting twice over the final four holes.  I ended up shooting 39-41=80 but it could have been much better. 

ADGC hosts the European Tour’s Abu Dhabi HSBC Tour Championship each January and from the tips plays to over 7600 yards (note…this is at sea level).  They apparently grow the rough to ridiculous heights, and Ricky Fowler, the winner this year shot 16 under par.  Quite frankly, how this track ever made a World 100 list is simply astounding.  Zero charm, subtlety, or design attributes.  Just a long slog as we say.  Anyhow, Golf Week UK had it as #100 in 2010, and I am most pleased to say that it is now in my rear view mirror.

I found Collum and thanked him for the round and headed for my hotel some 15 minutes away.  I was exhausted and quickly showered, had something to eat (first food since breakfast on the plane at 6am) and was back in the room asleep by 4:30pm.  I awoke from my extended nap at 8:30, and immediately went to work on the blog for a couple of hours and then returned to bed…such a faithful correspondent!!

YAS Links, April 30, 2016:  When I played YAS links in January of this year, I loved the course.  It is a Kyle Phillips links style course in the middle of the desert, and is a brilliant design.  Unfortunately, I got held up by foursomes big time on the back nine, and was faced with running too late to catch my next flight.  On the par 3 17th, I played it in about 3 minutes after the group ahead putted out (just about “hockey sticking” the ball to the hole near and on the green) and then explained my situation and they allowed me to play in, alternately hitting a shot when there was room and playing hockey when there was not.  I did finish 18 and I did catch my plane…but since then have wanted to really play these last 2-3 holes.  Additionally, I wanted to talk with the managers or owners of the club to tell them how much I loved this creation (I think it is the best desert course I have played) and get a sense of how it came about.

I emailed the club a month ago and very quickly heard back from Martyn Hamer, Head Pro.  After noting each others’ schedule we quickly agree that I would play #16-18 at 6:45am on Saturday and then join him for breakfast to discuss the course and its plans.

Martyn picked me up at my hotel (about a mile from YAS Links) and we proceeded with that plan, including breakfast with Martyn.   I bogeyed all three holes (which was fine, I really did want to play them at least “semi-normally”), showered and had a delightful breakfast with Martyn and his chief groundkeeper, Michael ??, originally from New Zealand).  Then Martyn drove me up to the Dubai airport and here I am on a flight to Heathrow, for connections to arrive in Edinburgh late tonight, and drive to Gleneagles for a round Sunday morning.  I shall hopefully post this during my layover at Heathrow, or worst case on Sunday.

OK, so where do I stand?  Major progress made these past three weeks…left with:

Top 100 Ever: 5 of 286 left to play (Canada-2, Barbados-1, France-1, England-1)
MacWood Spoof: 7 left to play (England-6, Canada-1)
US Open Venues: 2 left to play (IL-1, MA-1)

Total: 13 (one course on both Top 100 Ever and MacWood):

            England: 6
            Canada: 3 (Quebec and Nova Scotia)
            Barbados: 1
            France: 1
            USA: 2

Other possible bucket list?  How about “Cup Ever”, playing all venues of Walker Cup, Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup, Curtis Cup, and Solheim Cup.  You might have noticed me sneaking some of these in over the past year or so, for example:

            National, Paris, April 2015 (Ryder Cup 2018)
            Marco Simone GC, Rome, April 2016 (Ryder Cup 2022)
            K Club, Ireland, May 2015 (Ryder Cup 2006)
            Jack W. Nicklaus Golf Club, S Korea, October 2015 (Presidents Cup 2015)
            St Leon-Rot, Germany, April 2016 (Solheim Cup 2015)


More about what’s left and next plans on my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment