Wednesday, November 18, 2015

25. Asia trip continued

Before I go forward with the last three course of the trip, I wanted to cover two things.  First, in writing about how Wack Wack got its name, I forgot to include a copy of WW’s logo, which, of course, features two crows…copy shown below.



Secondly, after I played it, and clearly not because of my input, South Cape (S Korea) was listed on http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk ‘s 2016 Worldwide Top 100 ranked at #91.

Stone Forest (Leader’s Peak C Course) November 7, 2015:  Stone Forest is located about 30 miles east of Spring City and had received some rave reviews and was reputed be very hard to get access to.  Last year I reached them and secured a time for their Leader’s Peak or “C” course, which is private and not open to outsiders.  You may recall that I had to cancel that trip, but was able to re-set it up for this one.  It has never made a Worldwide Top 100 list, but was rumored to have missed only because it has not received enough ratings (appropriately, the people who run these lists have strict minimum number of ratings required to make a Top 100 list…in order to make it harder to “stuff the ballot box” and jam a new club onto the list).  The Leader’s Peak course is par 72 stretching to a big 7528 yards and was designed by Brian Curley.  Stone Forest also have “A” and  “B” courses and they are open to the public and we were scheduled to play “A” that afternoon.

I was very anxious to see it, and was going out there with Kimi Hoshiyama.  As we drove in and then walked through the clubhouse, there were immediate signs of problems…lack of up to date maintenance, etc.  Sure enough, when we got on to the course, the deferred maintenance issues became very very obvious.  The fairways were in terrible condition as were the bunkers and rough.  The greens had been punched probably 5-6 days earlier and were soft and a little slow.  It was very clear that the club was in deep financial trouble (more below).  However, even if it was in good shape, I would have been disappointed, nit by the architecture, but rather the location.  The club is named after the region of Yunnan Province where it is located.  The “Stone Forest” is filled with limestone “rock outcroppings” which look like stalagmites.  They are stunningly beautiful and on the back nine, the course wanders through these outcroppings.  So much so, that on the par 3 12th hole, you must carefully walk thru the stones to get to the green.  Frankly, I was embarrassed, and almost felt like we were walking through sacred ground.  In sum, and quite frankly, I felt the course was a poster child for everything that is wrong with golf today.

I chose not to play the “A” course that afternoon, in part because it also is built within the Stone Forest.  I took the car back to Spring City and replayed the first 10 holes of the Lake Course…which was just as good as the day before if not better.  On 11, I ran into a group of foursomes and went in.  Early the next morning (before heading to the airport, I went out and played #11-18 on Lake.

As an aside, I learned that evening that Stone Forest was in deep trouble financially and that a sale was in the works, but had not closed due to disputes closing adjustments…so in the meantime it continues to deteriorate.

Ayodhya Links November 8, 2015:  Last year I started hearing about Ayodhya here and there.  Most of the reports were that Ayodhya was very special.  It is located about an hour north of downtown Bangkok, Thailand.  Then about 3 months ago, Golf Magazine’s Worldwide Top 100 for 2015 included Ayodhya at #76…immediately after that listing was published, the Discussion Groups on http://www.golfclubatlas.com went nuts.  The listing added one more course to my bucket list and I had planned to play it in January…but the volcanic ash in Bali gave me time to play it this trip and then the opportunity was presented.  While I understand the reasons for the controversy, I find it interesting that most of those who have criticized this selection have not been to Ayodhya yet.  A number of these critics have cited Old Macdonald’s dropping off the list as proof that Ayodhya did not belong.  That is fallacious to my mind.  Ayodhya did not displace Old Macdonald (which I truly love) and comparing them is not the way to analyze the situation…if you believe that Old Mac is better than Ayodhya (and I would agree with that statement), then the problem with the 2015 list may be the exclusion of OM, rather than the inclusion of Ayodhya.

Frankly, my reaction to Ayodhya based on one round is that it probably is a Top 100…but I am not sure.  The area had received a lot of rain the previous evenings so it was very very soft and wet.  If what I played is its natural condition, it is not a Top 100, but I am assuming that it normally is firm and fast.  I am hoping to return at one point to test that conclusion.

The golf course was built on perfectly flat marshland…yes it is not natural and to me that is a negative…but are we going to exclude “manufactured” courses from the listings?  There goes Pete Dye, there goes, Calusa, probably Kingsbarns is out, and by the way, if Lido still existed then it would have been excluded!!  About 5 years ago it was hit by a world class flooding situation (obviously caused by global warming as it never rained in the tropics prior to the burning of fossil fuels) that put the course under about 10-30’ of water…yes, 10-30 feet, not inches!!  I saw some of the photos.  I cannot imagine the amount of drainage that was installed to prevent a reoccurrence.  But let me get back to the track itself.

The greens are very tricky, tough and fair.  It is critical to come into then from the proper angle.  And the fairways are subtle.  For example…#10.  From the tee you can see undulations but nothing looks dramatic.  It is a dogleg right, with a large bunker in the center of the fairway.  So off the tee, there are three choices:

            --blow it over the fairway bunker (carry is 255);
            --play down the left side and add maybe 20-25 yards to this 437 yard hole; or
            --play down the right side and shorten the hole.

Only problem with the third strategy is that there is a big mound down the right side that totally blocks any view of the green from the right.  Some may say that this is unfair as it is not obvious from the tee, but I completely disagree.  I do not like courses that are totally obvious from the tee the first time you play them.  I love nuances that you learn over time and force the player to think and choose with each shot…in fact plan a hole from the tee, not just plan a tee shot.  My favorite holes are #3, 6, 8-10, 12 (which I four putted), 13, and 17.  Great collection of par 5’s. 

Overall the club is stunning. One photo and one video below. The photo is of #12, a 188 yard par 3 that I 4 putted…you can see the pin to the left…my tee shot hit the green, way right.  Enough said.  The video is from the clubhouse and is a panorama first of the 18 the hole (on the right) and the 9th hole (on the left).  Stunning view…but does not compare to the view from the clubhouse at Oakmont!  Enough said.

Ayodhya #12 where I 4-putted; pin just above right edge of bunker


Panorama from clubhouse started from right see 18th green and then 9th green as video sweeps left


In sum, I am not sure if it is a Top 100, but based on what I have seen, I have no problem with the listing (unless conditions are often or usually that soft).

Sheshan Golf Club November 12, 2015:  Home of the HSBC World Championship that concluded three days earlier.  I was fortunate to be able to play it the first day it was open after the event (at least until I hit it in the left rough on the short par 4 third hole).  Sheshan, located about 20 miles southeast of Shanghai has appeared on one World Top 100 listing, Golf Digest’s initial 2014 listing at position #82.  It’s clubhouse is strikingly similar in appearance to the new clubhouse at TPC-Sawgrass.

On November 11, it was very very wet and soft and extremely green.  The course is good but more of a “championship” than “fun” venue.  As wet as it was, it played very long and the course was crowded with members eager to test their skills again a tour quality setup.  The members I played with failed that teat (as did I).  Truth be know, I was very tired going into the round, and the slow play caused me to lose my focus.  It is a good course, but I would not have it on my World 100.

Stop in Seoul and trip home:  After the round, had lunch with the GM, Roger Foo, and the Director of Golf, Gavin Eckford.  Then it was back into a taxi for a long drive to PVG airport on my way back to Seoul.  As we approached the airport, my taxi driver got lost, kept driving around without asking how to get back to the airport, and for about 45 minutes I was wondering if I would miss my flight.  If nothing else, those 45 minutes showed that my stents are working!

The following morning I went over to JNGCK (I was staying in Incheon about 2 miles away) and played holes 14-18 (as you may recall, I had only played 1-14 on November 4.  Then after a shower at my hotel, it was back to the airport for the long trip home.  It was so good to get home and see my bride.  The jetlag over the past 4 days has been tough but that too shall pass.   Time to start planning the next journey.

Bucket List Status

Major progress on this trip, especially regarding World Top 100 Ever.  Here is where I stand right now:

1.     Worldwide Top 100 Ever from seven sources: 264 courses on list, 254 played, and 10 to go (Asia—3, Australia/NZ—5; Europe and Caribbean 1 each). Was 19 to go at start of trip.  Improvement from 19 courses to go to 10 to go.
2.     US Open Venues: 54 in total, 52 played and two to go (Skokie-IL and Brae Burn-MA).  No change on trip.
3.     1939 “First Top 100” (spoof): 101 courses (two tied for 100 spot), 81 played, 5 no longer exist, and 15 to go (England-6; USA-1; Cont Europe-3; S Africa-2; Canada-1; Sri Lanka-1; Vietnam-1).  No change.
4.     USA Top 100 Ever from five sources: 338 courses on list, 293 played, 2 no longer exist, and 43 to play (improvement of 2 courses).  Improvement of two courses.
5.     Men’s Major Venues Ever:  total of 121 courses, 93 played, 1 no longer exists, and 29 to go (2 US Open...see #2 above; 27 PGA).  No change
6.     “Cups”—Walker, Ryder, and Presidents: total of 70 courses, 59 played, and 11 to play (WC-0; RC-10; PC-1).

Good to be caught up again.   As I look back on this trip, while the volcano messed some things up, it certainly could have been worse…if it had erupted 3 hours later, I would have been stranded on Bali for several days.  Also, given where I went, almost no rain.  It rained for my last 4 holes or so in Seattle, plus maybe 20 minutes in Singapore.  Big positive surprises among courses were Spring City-Lake and Anyang…big negative surprise was South Bay.


Time to go take another nap!!  Next trip is back to Asia 2nd half of January!!

No comments:

Post a Comment